Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Latest Tapped: Christmas Beer Edition

Yes, it is that time of the year again!  For restaurants not located on a lake or in a summer tourist spot, this time of the year is one of the busiest.  Christmas is one of my favorite days of the year, but a close second might be the day that we tap our first Christmas beer at work.  Christmas beers are usually released in early November, and are typically strong and spiced with a variety of different ingredients.
I would not be surprised if Christmas beer is a master brewers’ favorite beer to brew either, as most of them have a distinct different flavor and come with their own creativity.

We just recently tapped our first few Christmas beers at O’Connor’s… Here is my input on them:


Great Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Brewery is a pretty well-known brewery out of Cleveland, Ohio.  You might have heard of their Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald beer before, which is by far their staple.  The brewery was established in 1986 and didn't gain popularity until the 2000's, when they grew exponentially… Slow and steady might win the race when it comes to beer.  I must say, they do an exceptional job brewing.  

Taken by: Scott Swartz

On to the fun stuff about this great craft.  Coming in at 7.5% ABV and 30 IBU (International Bitter Units), this is a medium-bodied very drinkable slightly bitter beer.  It starts with a lot of spice and honey, and finished with a hint of ginger.  This beer will definitely sneak up on you fast… its almost TOO smooth.  Well done Great Lakes Brewing!

New Belgium Accumulation

As stated in earlier recent blog posts, New Belgium brewery is very well-known for its beer by the name of "Fat Tire."  I'd have to say this is probably my favorite beer that New Belgium Brews.  

Taken by: Scott Swartz

As a white lighter IPA coming in at 6.2% ABV, this beer is another one of those "creepers"…   Drink with caution.  This beer is very lemony and citrusy, it is a sucker for your taste buds.  It gives an aroma of grapefruit as well… very drinkable.  

 Frankenmuth Christmas Town Ale

Known as Michigan's Original Craft Brewery, Frankenmuth is dedicated to brewing exactly what the consumer wants: quality American craft beer.  Established in 1862, they are one of the oldest breweries in Michigan.  

Taken by: Scott Swartz

Coming in at a 6% and 28 IBU's, the flavor of this Christmas beer is unlike any other: sweet, hoppy, and fruity.  With notes of caramel, toffee, cinnamon and nutmeg, this beer is very complex.  Although it is very popular, it is not too exciting for me… there is almost too much going on in your mouth.  Definitely not one I would go out of my way for a second of.  Don't let my personal judgment steer you away, its just not my style.  

Now that you know a little something about Christmas beer, its time to go try for yourself!  

Enjoy.

   
Disclosure: I am not being compensated for any information I post to this blog.



17 comments:

  1. I have had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, very good. I am a fan of New Belgium's Fat Tire and Snapshot Wheat. I look forward to trying the selections you presented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love snapshot! Another great one by New Belgium

      Delete
  2. I honestly didn’t realize they had Christmas flavored beers. This is exciting news to me and I can’t wait to try some. Especially the New Belgium Accumulation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The also have a different winter seasonal beer you should try… Its called Salted Caramel Brownie. New Belgium and Ben&Jerry's did a collab.

      Delete
  3. I would love to try Christmas Town!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, I am going to seek out Christmas town, I wonder if they distribute bottles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet seen bottles of Christmas Town. I believe it is draft only.

      Delete
  5. The white IPA sounds good - I think... Gotta go out in Rochester soon, it seems :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been a while since you have come in!

      Delete
  6. I never knew there was such a mix of Christmas beer. What's the best in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite Christmas beers are by Southern Tier and the name of it is 2XMAS… Awesome stuff! Also, Griffin Claw out of Birmingham makes a really good one too called "3 Scrooges."

      Delete
  7. Love O' Connors, I will definitely be trying these beers there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The White IPA is my favorite, I had it last year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog interesting! And I don't even like beers. I was up in Frankenmuth a few weekends ago and one of my friend's had the Christmastown Ale and I will admit, it was okay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have tried a lot of seasonal beers, but I have never tried any of the Christmas ones. Looks I have some ideas for my Christmas wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I honestly do not know anything about any sort of craft beer so this blog was a good starting point for me and choosing a beer that isn't considered to be "tacky" as my friends would say :) With Holiday parties coming up this will help in trying to put through an order that won't make the table laugh. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also am a full-time student and work in the service industry. I struggled with deciding what to blog about, but now after reading some of your posts, I wish I would've went in the food and beverage route. You have a lot of interesting craft beer knowledge to share! Also, I love Christmas Ale from Great Lakes and cannot wait to drink one soon!

    ReplyDelete